Founded in 1991, the Mircom Group of Companies is North America’s largest independent designer, manufacturer and distributor of intelligent building and life safety solutions. Reaching customers in over 100 countries worldwide, our portfolio includes: fire detection & alarm, communications & security, mass notification, nurse call, and building automation & smart technologies.
Mircom’s mission is to save lives and protect property by providing a line-up of innovative and advanced solutions which are scalable to satisfy diverse user demands, from small buildings to the largest complexes. Our unwavering commitment to North American manufacturing enables us to offer the highest quality and best competitive value across our vast range of products and solutions.
Reporting to the Senior Mechanical Designer, the Mechanical Designer is responsible for completing production intent design for developing practical solutions to mechanical and engineering problems that may arise during technology and product development in a timely manner. In addition, the Mechanical Designer is expected to play dynamic roles in participating or leading specific projects
Position Scope and Responsibilities:
- Design and develop mechanical systems to achieve functional requirements, cost targets, and requirements of certification standards.
- 3D CAD Design and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) of component parts for mass production.
- Manage all engineering document administration including design and analysis reports, 3D CAD files, Bill of Materials (BOM), mechanical drawing release, revision changes, and receiving inspection approvals.
- Knowledge of Solidwork PDM is an asset.
- Design assembly jigs and fixtures
- Establish relationships with suppliers for parts and components.
- Author assembly instructions and quality control procedures and installation/service instructions for each new product generation.
- Participate and assist in system testing.
- Provide timely updates to Senior Mechanical Designer identifying project risks & issues. Proactively propose solutions and swiftly implement new strategies, initiatives, and measures as requested.
Requirements and Skills
- Minimum undergraduate degree in mechanical, mechatronics, or systems design engineering plus 5+ years of work experience in product development, engineering or manufacturing.
- Solid understanding and experience in all associated aspects of product development including product specifications, design, prototyping, tooling, manufacturing, budgeting, etc.
- Superior knowledge of mass production methods including sheet metal, injection molding, machining, plating, and coatings.
- Wide range of interest and knowledge base in multiple engineering disciplines; ability to quickly grasp and develop the subject matter expertise required to develop engineering solutions.
- Superior time management and organizational skills.
- A high degree of proficiency in Solidworks modeling, freehand sketching, tolerance analysis, and in detailing engineering drawings. Experience creating high-quality 3D renderings of products for investor and marketing materials. A portfolio demonstrating capabilities is useful.
- A self-starter and adaptive learner.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Experience with industrial design
- Experience with Microsoft AX is an asset.
- Knowledge of Keyshot is an asset.
- Motivated to strive and succeed in a start-up environment.
- Disciplined and hard working.
- Exceptional communications skills – oral, written, and presentation skills.
- High level of maturity, integrity and personal effectiveness.
- Personal accountability and commitment to achieving and exceeding goals and objectives.
What Mircom Offers:
- A great working environment with opportunities for advancement
- Competitive salary
- Group Insurance benefits
- Company RRSP program
Interested applicants are encouraged to forward a copy of your resume with samples of past work and drawings produced in Solidworks to Human Resources.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Mircom Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer that considers all applicants regardless of cultural background, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, family status, disability or any other grounds as outlined in the Ontario Human Rights Code. In compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Mircom is committed to providing a welcoming and inclusive work environment for all individuals with disabilities in a respectful and dignified manner. Accommodations will be made available, upon request, to applicants who have specialized needs throughout the recruitment process.
Disclaimer: Mircom does not accept resumes from employment placement agencies, head-hunters or recruitment suppliers that are not in a formal contractual arrangement with us. Our recruitment supplier arrangements are restricted to specific hiring needs and do not include this or other job postings. Any resume or other information received from a supplier not approved in advance by Mircom to provide resumes to this posting or web-site will be considered unsolicited and will not be considered. We will not pay any referral, placement or other fee for the supply of such unsolicited resumes or information.