QA Test Engineer – Fire Products
QA Test Engineer – Fire Products
Founded in 1991, the Mircom Group of Companies is North America’s largest independent designer, manufacturer and distributor of intelligent building and life safety solutions. Reaching customers in over 100 countries worldwide, our portfolio includes: fire detection & alarm, communications & security, mass notification, nurse call, and building automation & smart technologies.
Mircom’s mission is to save lives and protect property by providing a line-up of innovative and advanced solutions which are scalable to satisfy diverse user demands, from small buildings to the largest complexes. Our unwavering commitment to North American manufacturing enables us to offer the highest quality and best competitive value across our vast range of products and solutions.
Mircom designs, develops, and integrates highly sophisticated intelligent building system related command, control, and communications systems for the industrial, commercial, and residential markets. Our designs transform large amounts of complex data into useful information that is clearly and intuitively presented on our panels, enabling emergency response or facility maintenance staff to make informed decisions in real-time.
The QA Test Engineer will direct and oversee the testing and evaluation of hardware and software for the company’s real-time, embedded, communications and life-safety systems. The position presently reports to the Engineering Manager, but works closely with all members of the Engineering department, and with staff in Quality Assurance, Manufacturing, Tech Support, Product Management, etc.
For more information about our products please visit: http://www.mircom.com/products
- Work with the product design team to document and implement requirements
- Develop and maintain test plans for standard products developed by the company's Engineering Department.
- Develop and maintain testing methodologies and practices which will enable the effective, efficient evaluation of new and updated hardware and software designs.
- Test and evaluate hardware and software for new and upgraded products and systems as a part of the Engineering Department's testing and quality assurance process.
- Prepare test reports on assigned projects, and work with Department designers to help resolve technical issues uncovered as a result of testing.
- Act as the Department authority on code requirements and test methods related to ULC and UL listed products.
- Provide guidance and support to ensure that the Engineering Lab has the tools, equipment, and materials it needs to support ongoing and developing testing requirements.
- Establish and support the high technical standards which are expected of the industry leader.
- Lead in the identification, definition, and implementation of new processes, policies, practices, standards, and tools to enhance the Engineering Department’s effectiveness, capabilities, and capacities.
- Report any deficiencies in systems, facilities, machinery, equipment and/or tools immediately to Senior Management.
- Record and/or report product damage/nonconformities to Senior Management as required.
- Comply with Quality Assurance policies and procedures.
- Participate and contribute to effective production efficiency.
Requirements and Skills:
- Good working knowledge of current testing methodologies and practices in a modern manufacturing / lab environment.
- Several years experience in hardware and software testing, utilizing a wide variety of current technology and test equipment in a real-time, process control environment.
- Excellent knowledge of the various codes and standards that govern the fire alarm industry.
- Good working knowledge of safety procedures and precautions related to working with electrical equipment.
- Excellent written and spoken English, ability to create clear, precise, and comprehensive test reports.
- The Test Engineer must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, and yet be able to function well in a team environment. The incumbent is expected to demonstrate skills in helping to define product requirements and identify and eliminate technical challenges or problems that might interfere with the successful approval (listing), launch, and utilization of the company's products and systems.
- The successful applicant will have degree in electrical engineering plus several years experience in a system test or verification role.
What Mircom Offers:
- A great working environment with opportunities for advancement
- Competitive salary
- Group Insurance benefits
- Company RRSP program
Interested applicants please forward a copy of your cover letter and resume to the HR Department. Applicants are encouraged to submit any project documentation research papers, web links or other relevant documents that showcase their past work. Please share this job to people whom you think would be interested in a great career in a leading technology firm.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position however only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Mircom Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer that considers all applicants regardless of cultural background, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, family status, disability or any other grounds as outlined in the Ontario Human Rights Code. In compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Mircom is committed to providing a welcoming and inclusive work environment for all individuals with disabilities in a respectful and dignified manner. Accommodations will be made available, upon request, to applicants who have specialized needs throughout the recruitment process.